Lots of little words mess us writers up. Here’s a list of some with their proper spelling (and note whether they are capitalized or not).
You may want to put these in your notebook and keep handy at your desk:
- yesses and nos and maybes
- dos and don’ts
- MAs, PhDs, BSs, US, DC, ID, US, CIA, FBI (the style is to leave out the periods)
- ifs, ands, and buts
- I sent thank-yous
- coworker (used to be hyphenated but now it’s not)
- How many “to be continueds” should we expect? (put the s inside the quotes if you are pluralizing a word or expression)
- Mind your p’s and q’s
- Dot your i’s and cross your t’s
We’ll be covering more of these from time to time, but too many at once might give you a headache!