Decent, Dissent, and Descent

In an article about a recent mountain hike, the author said this about his return trip: “The decent was more challenging than the ascent.”

A proofreading error, I’ll wager. But it presents a teachable moment.

Decent (DEE-sint) means acceptable, presentable, polite, socially acceptable. It can also mean clothed.

• “If everyone is decent we’ll come in,” the coach hollered as he charged through the locker room door.

Or it can mean good, but not necessarily excellent.

• His grades were decent, but not good enough to get into an Ivy League school.

Descent (deh-SCENT) is what the mountain climber meant to write when referring to his hike down the mountain. It refers to downward movement—either physically or socially.

• George’s drinking led to a rather hasty descent from the social circles of Peyton Place.

It can also refer to a person’s ancestry or lineage.

• Miami is home to many persons of Latin American descent.

And then there’s dissent (dis-SENT)—when you’re at odds with someone or take a stand against the prevailing view.

• Judges take a dissenting view when they oppose the majority ruling in a legal case.

Dissent is actually essential to a thriving democracy—just try to be decent in the way you talk about it.

10 Responses to “Decent, Dissent, and Descent”

1. Robin September 11, 2015 at 8:00 am #

i’ve a character who suffers a spinal CORD injury. my musical brain, however, keeps trying to type CHORD!! yeeps! that’s what editors are for, right?

• cslakin September 11, 2015 at 8:31 am #

Hi Robin, I see that error a lot in the manuscripts I work on. It struck a cord with him. Well, I guess you could strike a cord, but it wouldn’t resonate much.

• Robin September 11, 2015 at 9:47 am #

i love words and “there” origins (see what i did their), love to study etymology, and languages and how they all fit together! guess that’s why i’m a writer for! p.s. love grammar, too.

• Bob Hurlbert September 12, 2015 at 10:25 am #

guNUoV07yb9H

2. Anneli September 11, 2015 at 8:54 am #

People who make mistakes like this don’t know that they’re making them.This is why everyone needs a good copy-editor.

3. Bob Hurlbert September 12, 2015 at 10:28 am #

Will your newly released (Dec 1) book include these subject materials?

4. Jeri Burns September 12, 2015 at 11:01 am #

I enjoy your posts! I just had to add something to your lovely ending sentence, forgive me…

Regarding dissent in a democracy… you said, “…just try to be decent in the way you talk about it” — I want to add: or else you could cause that democracy to make a descent.

5. Victoria Marie Lees September 14, 2015 at 9:37 am #

Easily fixed mistakes here. Thanks so much for the clarification. I’ve shared it liberally.